Corporate and Business Immigration

If you are not a U.S. resident and you are interested in starting a business, running a business, or investing in a business in the U.S., there are a number of options for you. Some of those options include receiving a Green Card as well.

Why Create a Business in the U.S.?

The United States is one of the best places in the world to start a business. It has the largest economy in the world and U.S. businesses have greater flexibility than businesses in other countries. There are also less barriers for foreign businesses to enter the U.S. market than there are with other countries as you do not need to be a U.S. Citizen or even a U.S. resident to start a business in the U.S.

Starting a business, however, can be a complicated task as each U.S. state has its own laws and taxes you must follow and it is important to choose the right state and legal structure for your business. That is why it is important to work with someone familiar with the U.S. business landscape.

If you are interested in creating a business in the U.S., the Los Angeles Immigration Center can help you navigate your options and choose the best legal structure for you so that you can build a successful business and avoid future problems.

Why Have a Visa or Green Card to Run a Business?

Even though you can start a successful business in the U.S. without being a U.S. Citizen or U.S. resident, it is still advisable to obtain a proper Visa or Green Card if you plan on running it by yourself or actively participating in management. With a proper Visa, you can enter and re-enter the U.S. while your Visa is active and receive payments from your U.S. business without breaking any immigration laws, which could jeopardize your future attempts to enter the U.S. otherwise. With a Green Card, you can live in the U.S. permanently and eventually become a U.S. Citizen so you can enjoy the benefits that come with being a U.S. Citizen.

For more information on how to become a U.S. Citizen, see our Naturalization page.

There are a few ways to obtain a proper Visa or Green Card through your business in the U.S., such as:

L-1 Visa to Run U.S. Offices of Foreign Businesses

If you currently own or work for a foreign business that is interested in opening a new U.S. office or has an existing U.S. office, which you can run, you may be eligible for an L-1 Visa. The L-1 Visa is available for transferees that are managers, executives, or persons with specialized knowledge.

With an L-1 Visa, you can stay in the U.S. while you run the business and you can bring your spouse and children with you.

For more information on the L-1 Visa, see our L-1 Visa page.

E-2 Visa for Investing in U.S. Businesses

If you are a citizen of the certain countries, which have treaties with the U.S., and you want to invest a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business, you may be eligible for an E-2 Visa. The U.S. business does not have to exist, you can use your investment to start the business.

With an E-2 Visa, you can enter and stay in the U.S. while you work on developing your business and you can also bring your spouse and children with you. The initial visa is good for two years, but can be renewed an unlimited amount of times, making it an attractive option for those who want to the stay and work in the U.S. for a long time without obtaining a Green Card.

For more information on E-2 Visas, see our E-2 Visa page.

EB-5 Green Card With Investment Over $500,000

If you are interested in getting a Green Card and you have at least $500,000 to invest, you may be eligible for an EB-5 Green Card. Right now, the U.S. allows you to invest $500,000 in a designated Regional Center and get the Green Card with a very hands off approach. However, that may change soon as that program is set to expire on September 30th, 2015. Alternatively, you can start your own business or buy an existing business by investing $500,000 or $1,000,000, depending on the location of your business, and create 10 full-time jobs.

Contact the Los Angeles Immigration Center at (310) 933-4455 if you are interested in an EB-5 Green Card before it is too late!

For more information on the EB-5 Green Card, see our EB-5 page.

Contact Los Angeles Immigration Center for More Information.

Starting, running, or investing in a U.S. business while also following U.S. immigration laws can be complicated without the help of someone experienced with both U.S. businesses and U.S. immigration laws. The Los Angeles Immigration Center can help you find out the best way to achieve your goals with one of our experienced Immigration Lawyers. Please contact us to discuss your case.

To schedule a consultation with a Los Angeles Immigration Attorney, please call (310) 933-4455 or fill out our online form with a brief description of your situation.